Kids spend almost 18 hours a week in front of the TV. What should children watch in front of the television, what should parents watch them?
Experts said that the research revealed that children spend an average of 18 hours a week on TV, and therefore,, For this reason, prohibiting TV is not a solution; Therefore, we need to learn to live with TV and have a conscious time .
TV, especially on children and young people have numerous negative effects, he said. According to the research, the children revealed that they spent 18 hours a week on TV. Therefore, prohibiting TV is not a solution; Therefore, we need to learn to live with TV and have a conscious time.
Each child’s family structure, genetic characteristics, personality structure, emotional structure is different from the TV because of different effects, emphasizing the experts, said: The factors determine the way the child is affected by the TV. Today, TV has an undeniable influence on children’s life. We can use the TV in a positive way if we can control the time spent by the child on TV and the programs he watches. In the past, while there were only one television in the houses and a limited number of TV programs and channels, today there are countless TV channels and almost every room has a TV in our homes. This increases the likelihood of misuse of the TV.
Experts, children should be done for healthy TV watching as follows:
• Especially for children aged 0-6 years to watch TV for a long period of time:television and children – television and kids – what programs should watch on TV
When the children in this range are not spoken, the brain may not develop as healthy as they are not reacting to what they are doing and saying, and not being allowed to touch and play . Since the TV is a one-way communication tool, there is no mutual relationship. Children in this range are interested in 3D objects. However, the images on the TV are 2-dimensional. So the use of TV in learning processes for this age range is not significant enough. Especially in the 0-6 age group, minimizing the time spent on TV and spending time with the child by doing his / her activities will be the most beneficial way for the child’s development.
• Not displaying sexual and violent images:television and children – television and children – Children should watch what programs on TV
Depending on how it is presented , sexuality on TV can lead to misinterpretation of sexuality of young children, especially when involved with violence. Adult sexual behaviors of children can cause uneasiness and embarrassment; If sexuality, like all our other behaviors, is not presented in a manner with responsibilities and risks, such programs may lead children to develop inappropriate attitudes towards sexuality.
Children aged 7 and over may experience violent images, fear, anxiety and tension. The child, who is forced to make sense of such programs and images, can perceive the outside world as intimidating. This can lead to behaviors such as the difficulty of being separated from the parents, not wanting to be alone, the mother is too indulgent and does not want to go to school. It can negatively affect thinking, imagination and problem solving skills. It can also create reluctance to study.
• There should be no exaggerated responses to events and images as parents, and especially violent news should not be followed again and again in other channels.television and children – television and children – Children
• In the pre-adolescence period, the child should not be allowed to watch TV alone and choose TV programs.
• It is not recommended to watch TV before going to sleep and to sleep against TV.
• Feeding the child in front of the TV is not recommended as it may cause eating disorders in children.television and children – television and children – what programs should watch on TV
WHAT ARE THE POSITIVE EFFECTS OF THE TV?
Some children in TV when used consciously and delimited:
• Can enrich children’s vocabulary.
• Can develop imagination.
• Documentaries; The general knowledge of the child about subjects such as nature, animals, plants, different cultures increases. Children’s educational programs are very useful for learning the shapes, colors and numbers of pre-school children.
• He / she may be curious about some subjects and he / she can investigate it from books. As a result, television can encourage the child to read.
• Watching television can be a way of discharging the child’s negative feelings in a sense.
• Provides common topics to be talked about in social settings so it can facilitate communication with friends.
HOW TO WATCH TV?
• Programs appropriate to the child’s age and comprehension level should be selected.
• Watch TV with parents or with someone else and discuss and discuss the events.
• When watching TV, the light should be on: It is more convenient to watch TV in a bright environment so that the eyes do not get any more tired.
• When eating, the TV should be off: it is healthier for family members to be in touch with each other in the dining environment.
• The average TV should be viewed at a distance of 2 meters from the TV.
• The average daily non-stop time should be monitored for a maximum of 1 hour.kids-tv – kids tv – What Programs Should Children Watch on TV
WHAT CAN BE DONE TO REDUCE TV MONITOR?
• Making a weekly schedule list and opening the TV according to this list, keeping the TV off at other times,
• Identifying ıt Days of non-TV viewing once a week or several days, and presenting activities that can be done together or with peers rather than watching TV to the child,
• Do not turn on the TV as much as possible, for example, to turn on the TV only to listen to music;
• No TV in the child’s room,
• The TV is not used as a penalty or reward, (because in this way, we will increase the value of the TV further)
• Explaining to the child what kind of drawbacks can be seen when watching the programs
• Suggesting different activities to children outside of watching TV (Go shopping together, baking cakes, washing the car, watering flowers, repairing, walking, cycling, reading books) will be useful for reducing TV viewing.